As of my last update in September 2021, the exam process for obtaining a security guard license in Alberta, Canada, involves the following steps:
- Complete Alberta Basic Security Training (ABST): Before taking the licensing exam, you must successfully complete the Alberta Basic Security Training course. This course covers essential topics related to security guard responsibilities, legal powers, communication skills, emergency response, and more.
- Book the Provincial Exam: After completing the ABST course, you can book the Alberta Security Services and Investigators Act (SSIA) provincial licensing exam. The exam is typically conducted by authorized testing agencies on behalf of the Alberta government.
- Prepare for the Exam: Take the time to review and study the material covered in the ABST course to prepare for the exam thoroughly. You may receive study materials from your training provider to help you prepare.
- Attend the Exam: On the day of the exam, ensure you bring valid identification and any required documents. The exam will likely be conducted in a proctored environment, and you may be required to adhere to specific exam rules and protocols.
- Take the Exam: The provincial licensing exam usually consists of multiple-choice questions that assess your understanding of the material covered in the ABST course. The exam duration and the number of questions may vary, so be prepared to manage your time effectively.
- Receive Exam Results: After completing the exam, you will receive your exam results. A passing score is typically required to be eligible for a security guard license.
- Apply for the Security Guard License: Once you have passed the exam, you can proceed to apply for the security guard license with the Alberta government or the appropriate regulatory authority. The licensing process may involve submitting your exam results, completing an application form, providing personal information, and paying the necessary fees.
- Background Check: As part of the licensing process, you may be subject to a background check. This is to ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements and do not have any disqualifying criminal history.
- Receive Your License: Upon successfully completing the licensing process, you will be issued an Alberta Security Guard License, allowing you to work legally as a security guard in the province.
Please note that the exam process and requirements may be subject to change, so it’s essential to verify the most current information with the Alberta government or the authorized testing agencies before proceeding with the exam.